Wednesday, January 23, 2013

1/23/13- Day 3: wow it's cold outside

Happy Cleansing!

Below is a picture of my shopping cart from Costco yesterday.  I filled it with yummy whole foods to stock my fridge.  I wouldn't be able to shop there if it was just my husband and I, but I have a Great Dane and she eats a lot, so we go to Costco.  It makes grocery shopping easier and cheaper.


Since it has been so cold out I wanted to make something really comforting for dinner tonight.  I found a recipe on Pinterest, Hungarian Mushroom Soup.  I thought I would try it and tell you about it.  You can see that I bought a bunch of mushrooms at Costco with this recipe in mind.


I used two sweet onions, and a lot a lot of mushrooms.  


The recipe was vegan, but not gluten free, so I made some slight adjustments.  Instead of soy sauce (which contains gluten), I used low sodium Tamari.  I also purchased some all purpose gluten free and just swapped it in place of regular flour.  It turned out just fine.  There is also a picture of this vegan bouillon, I like this Rapunzel brand because it is tasty.  You need to watch out for bouillon because a lot of times it is not vegan and sometimes it can contain MSG, which we all want to avoid.  I used almond milk tonight because I thought it would have better flavor than soy, and it was good.

The soup looked like this before I added in the almond milk.
It was so good just like this I almost thought about leaving it, but since I have never made this recipe before I tried to follow it closely.  In the end I added twice the amount of fresh squeezed lemon juice, and added another tablespoon of tamari to give it a little extra zing.  I also used fresh dill instead of dried and probably used a little more than they said to use, but I cook to taste and it tastes better the way I made it.  


I was making dinner tonight for my husband and I and so when he got home from work, we had some appetizers.  I didn't make it fancy, but I wanted to show you these delicious gluten free crackers, "Flackers."  I like the savory kind, they are so good.  I also picked up this vegan walnut paté from the North East Coop by my house, and it is good.  I think the Wedge makes a better one, but this one is still good.  


Here is the finished product.  My husband and I both thought it was delicious and we want to put it in the "make it again" category.  It was a delicious and comforting, hearty soup for a cold winter day in Minnesota.  Here is the link if you would like to make it yourself.  




I like to make soups to have on hand because when I come home I am usually ravenous and then I can just warm up whatever it is I've made and I have something healthy and delicious.  I also like to make a variety of things, I'm not sure if I'll have time tomorrow because I have a pretty busy day, but I would like to share with you a vegan butternut squash polenta that I have made before and it is again, very comforting and delicious.  

Good luck with your cleansing, I know it is hard, and it is cold outside so that makes it harder, but keep up the good work!  

“This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook- try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun!” 

Goodnight for now,
Love, elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment